Cinesite Montreal is seeking a Character FX Supervisor to direct and oversee the work of our Feature Animation Cloth/Hair/Fur FX team while providing technical and artistic leadership.
- Supervise the CFX team over multiple movies in production, being responsible for cloth set-up and simulation, fur and hair dynamics, and other simulation and character finaling tasks.
- Work with production to schedule the team and be the representative for the team in creative and technical discussions.
- Mentor and guide the team and ensure the quality of the work out of the department.
- Drive the continued pipeline development for the CFX department to enable high quality output on a large scale.
- Be the main voice for creative and technical problem solving with the movie leadership and the other teams.
- Ensure standards and techniques are optimized for maximum efficiency and meet the technical and artistic standards set by the CG Supervisor.
- Conduct internal evaluations of plans with the team and attend daily work-in-progress meetings (dailies).
- Lead the team on assigned sequences to maintain continuity and adapt to mid-production direction changes.
- Communicate closely with coordinators and supervisors to ensure all plans are delivered on time.
- Lead team meetings and help facilitate team training.
- 5 to 7 years of experience in a similar role in the animation film industry, visual effects for films, advertising.
- Thorough understanding of the animation production pipeline, motion dynamics and animation and experience in leading and motivating a team.
- Experience with Maya, nCloth, XGen, Yeti, Houdini and / or similar software.
- Experience in creating Characters simulated effects and / or general effects
- Understanding of rigging, 3D modeling and geometric deformation processes.
- Scripting (Mel, Vex, Python, etc.) and tool building is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of the Linux operating system
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Proactive attitude and excellent team spirit are essential.
- Good communication skills (English).
- Ability to deliver on time.
- Experience leading a team and training people.
What can we offer?
Cinesite offers a positive, creative environment where the world’s leading animation and effects artists are encouraged and supported to develop and produce challenging, cutting-edge, award-winning work.
We work as a collective, where excellence, expertise and expression are valued by all; where we collaborate with some of the world’s leading creative thinkers and produce work to which we are proud to put our name.
If you want to be part of the Cinesite story, please submit your application as an online submission via this website. If your candidacy is successful, you will be contacted shortly. If your application is not retained for this position, it will stay on file for future opportunities.