As a strong leader, the Head of DMP/Environment will oversee and take ownership of the processes and workflows of the DMP/Environment department to realize gains of efficiency and effectiveness in the long term. The Head of Department will design and implement strategies, enabling artists within their team to focus on creating the highest quality images while respecting the timeframes of production. In partnership with the Production Department Manager, the incumbent will ensure smooth operation of the department with regards to artist management, as well as project requirements, deadlines and budgets.
- Supervise the team creating the DMP/Environment to deliver the expected and desired final mattepaintings;
- Work closely with Head of CG to strategize the department’s approach for all projects over the short-term and long-term and implement an efficient pipeline;
- Forecast hardware, software and development requirements of a project and present it to Head of CG;
- Support the CG Supervisor in the set-up of new projects;
- In collaboration with CG Supervisors, liaise with other departments to ensure a smooth production workflow;
- When required, assist in the bidding process by providing technical expertise and/or statistics of previous projects;
- Provide recommendations/technical solutions to encountered problems and challenges;
- Review, QC and finalize the department work before submission;
- Be receptive to, and communicate client notes and feedback to artists;
- Host and lead the monthly department forum;
- Attend and coordinate meetings with other departments;
- Encourage and facilitate communication with the departments counter-part in Feature Animation and other locations;
- Identify and diagnose areas of improvement within production work flows of the Department (technically, artistically, speed, efficiency) then plan and implement new methodologies to uphold the quality and develop the department;
- In collaboration with the Production Department Manager, estimate workload, allocate and optimize resources per project and select outsourcing strategies according to production budgets and schedules;
- In collaboration with Production Department Manager, address behavioural issues (tardiness, absenteeism, underperformance, motivation, etc.), resolve conflict within the team, set an example for the team in terms of performance, work ethic, professionalism and attitude, etc;
- Oversee the department leads and artists’ performance including their training and career development, performance evaluations and provide mentorship and leadership coaching for Supervisors (if applicable);
- Liaise with HR and artists to determine training needs to effectively develop, design and execute training programs for skill development;
- Work closely with HR to fulfill recruitment needs including pre-candidate screening, evaluation of artistic and technical abilities and conducting interviews.
- 7 years+ of feature film/TV production experience with an illustration background
- Previous experience as a Lead or Supervisor
- A strong combined technical and creative background
- Extensive knowledge of computer animation packages especially Photoshop
- Excellent knowledge of Nuke and Arnold Renderer
- Experience with programming/scripting languages (such as python, C++, etc.) is an asset
- Experience with photogrammetry is a plus
- Basic understanding of color pipelines
- Ability to complete bids; determine the timeframe and scope required for each project
- Ability to troubleshoot and deal with competing priorities
- Capable of managing a team of artists; setting expectations, and managing their time
- Excellent eye for detail and quality control
- Strong leadership skills and ability to motivate others
- Excellent communication skills
What can we offer?
Cinesite offers a positive, creative environment where the world’s leading animation and effects artists are encouraged and supported to develop and produce challenging, cutting-edge, award-winning work.
We work as a collective, where excellence, expertise and expression are valued by all; where we collaborate with some of the world’s leading creative thinkers and produce work to which we are proud to put our name.
If you want to be part of the Cinesite story, please submit your application as an online submission via this website. If your candidacy is successful, you will be contacted shortly. If your application is not retained for this position, it will stay on file for future opportunities.APPLY