The Look Development Artist works with Leads and Supervisors to define all the technical and creative aspects needed to create the appearance for CG assets for a particular project. The Look Development Artist should be able to use a variety of methods to satisfy a production’s creative needs and to ensure technically and artistically proper implementation of look developed assets.
- Work with the show supervisors to create final looks, templates and materials for CG characters and environments to be used in production and interpret artistic direction from Supervisors
- Work to define shader requirements, creating shader networks in Katana, modifying shader parameters, and iteratively refining the look to accomplish the art direction goals and integrating solutions into production pipeline
- Work closely with Surfacing artists to create necessary texture maps for application to creatures, props and environments
- Work closely with grooming artists and technical animators to create fur, hair, or cloth rigs for application to creatures, props and environments
- Work closely with Lighting Leads and Supervisors to ensure that all assets work within the scope of lighting & color pipeline requirements
- Building macros within Katana
- Participate as a team member in determining various design and technical solutions; provides feedback to other team members of the production
- 3 to 5 years production experience in feature film Animation in a similar role
- Superior eye for light, shade, color, and detail in creating shaders and materials
- Must have experience modifying shading networks and defining templates for other artists
- Must have advanced experience with Renderman, Maya, and a variety of rendering technologies
- Experience in Katana and Python a plus
- Able to create textures from reference and clean UV layouts
- Experience in shot lighting and finaling
- Familiarity with zBrush,Mari or other texture and normal/displacement map generation is a plus
- Possess familiarity with asset management systems and procedures
- Ability to balance quick turnaround with achieving a high degree of aesthetic quality
- Be willing to share knowledge and experience with others, possess strong initiative, excellent communication, time management and problem-solving skills
- Solid ability to work in a collaborative environment, taking direction positively from the Leads and Supervisors while keeping production staff updated on progress and scheduling conflict
What can we offer?
Cinesite offers a positive, creative environment where the world’s leading animation and effects artists are encouraged and supported to develop and produce challenging, cutting-edge, award-winning work.
We work as a collective, where excellence, expertise and expression are valued by all; where we collaborate with some of the world’s leading creative thinkers and produce work to which we are proud to put our name.
If you want to be part of the Cinesite story, please submit your application as an online submission via this website. If your candidacy is successful, you will be contacted shortly. If your application is not retained for this position, it will stay on file for future opportunities.