Cinesite Vancouver is looking for a Matte Painter to join us on our creepy and kooky animated theatrical feature film, The Addams Family.
The Matte Painter works in collaboration with the Art Director and is responsible for creating and conceptualizing complex digital environments using a variety of 2D, 2.5D, and 3D techniques. The ideal candidate has an exceptional understanding of colour, light, and composition as well as an excellent eye for aesthetics with the ability to produce photorealistic and stylized digital environments.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Create digital environments and set extensions.
- Work closely with the Art Director, Art, Modeling, and Layout Departments
- Work with CG Supervisor to determine overall approach required for each environment.
- Communicates with the Lighting and Compositing Departments to ensure shots are delivered according to their requirements
- Create shot components by combining rendered elements with 3D models or assets
- Model, UV, and texture various assets for environment shots
- Responsible for designing and conceptualizing architecture, lighting, and graphics that convey the Directors overall vision of the project
- Works with the Production team to help establish schedules and technical needs
- Troubleshoots any issues with background components that may arise
- Able to take direction and constructive criticism from the Supervisors and feedback from the Directors
Skills & Requirements:
- 2+ years’ experience on a feature film as a concept artist/matte painter
- Excellent artistic eye for detail with the ability to follow reference material and concept art and to visually interpret the Directors ideas
- Exceptional understanding of 2D design principles such as: balance, rhythm, form, composition, light/shadow, colour etc.
- Experience in modeling, camera projection and composting
- Strong knowledge of Maya, Photoshop, and Nuke
- Experience with Renderman an asset
- Traditional arts background is highly preferred
- Good understanding of lighting, rendering, and digital compositing
- Ability to communicate and work well in a team environment
- Great problem-solving skills and extremely organized
P.S. Our studio is built on respect and inclusion – it is a safe place for all to come to work. No jerks allowed! That includes respecting and accepting individual differences and preferences, creating equality and equity in our practices, and including everyone to create a sense of belonging. We are a work in progress and are always striving to improve.APPLY